Sunday, September 2, 2012

Childcraft - Poems and Rhymes















This  is amazing!  Childcraft is an anthology that was originally created in the 1930's by the publishers of the World Book Encyclopedia.  Some of the other volumes of Childcraft include Stories and Fables, Children Everywhere, World and Space, About Animals, How Things Work, What People Do, Holidays and Customs, Make and Do, etc.  My volume of Poems and Rhymes is a 1975 edition.  It is fantastic to have these beautiful poems, photos, and illustrations all in one place.  Gyo Fujikawa illustrated the 'Trees' poem, Ezra Jack Keats did the gorgeous second-last picture here, and Alice and Martin Provensen did the last one for 'The Owl and the Pussycat'.  So fun!

Linking to The Children's Bookshelf

8 comments:

  1. I grew up with this set. I loved looking through this book and the Stories and Fables. I'm wondering if those books are still at my moms house? I'm going to look this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a couple of Childcraft books at our local hipster donut shop, among a shelf of used books for people to read. I oooohed and ahhhhed and wondered if I could sneak them out of the building. (I decided that would be wrong. Sigh.) These pictures remind me why I wanted them so badly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW WOW WOW! this is gorgeous and amazing!!!! you own this?? So lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know eh!! Used book sales rock! Well sometimes. Sometimes they can be kind of a dud. It all depends - so exciting when I can score something cool like this book though!

      Delete
  4. I love all these illustrations so much! Thanks for linking up to The Children's Bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post was so lovely to scroll through. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete